First, I cut a hole in the middle of one of the side panels. This will be for Bug to poke her head through.
I added binding to the pokey.
I have a confession. I HATE using pins when sewing. I know my work would be much more even and professional looking if I used them. I tend to free hand my sewing because I end up sticking myself. It is a fear of mine and I hate when it happens. I do have some Clover Wonder Clips and I love them, but for tight work like the pokey hole here, they would not work well. So as you can see, the sewing is quite erratic.
Next, to add a zipper.
Talk about retrofitting. This bag was not designed to have a zipper. But with some determination and good ole Ameri-CAN DO tude, I got that sumbitch on.
I am going to have put a little oil on the zipper. It is a very very old one I got at a thrift store ages ago with about 100 other zippers. It was brown, just the right color and the perfect length. I just top stitched it on along the top seam. I did not use a zipper foot. Unless I was going to take this bag apart, I had to be innovative. No, I absolutely was NOT going to take this bag apart. If I had the gumption to do that, I might as well just make a tote from scratch. Now why would I do that when I have bunches of serviceable bags just laying around waiting to be converted/upcycled/retrofitted? LOLs at Internet crafter jargon....
Now all this bag needs is a few outer pockets for my own personal stuff like keys, wallet, phone and such. I had a fat quarter and a fat eighth in coordinating colors that have been hanging out in my stash for a bit.
From Prairie Quilt in Hennessey, Oklahoma. Check out their website. They are in a beautiful old building right off the main street/country highway. This is one of my favorite places to visit for fabric.
This fat quarter is from Oklahoma Quiltworks in Oklahoma City. I have never visited, but my mother shops there frequently. She usually asks me if I need something and will pick up a fat quarter or two or three or ten for me.
Just free handed this pocket and top stitched it on using the peach for a lining and hem. I divided the pocket down the (sort of ) middle. All this sewing was a little bit of a pain as the bag was already put together, but it is a big bag and easy to scootch all the extra cloth out of the way for my Nancy Zieman sewing machine (tried to find a link for it, but can't find one! It's not even on the product inventory where it was purchased.)
So... I cannot just toss her into the bag. It needs a supportive bottom for her to stand, sit and lay on. Let's recycle. We had donuts this morning.
I took both the top and bottom of the box and folded them on top of each other.
I measured (eyeballed) whether the box would fit the bottom of the bag. Yup, just the right length.
Using a very technical method, I secured the boxes into the rectangular shape I wanted.
I wrapped a long piece of fleece 'round and around the box. This makes it very pillowy and soft.
I manipulated it into the bag bottom. Fits snugly.
And testing testing 123
My Snugly Bug!!!!